Race Schedule and Results

Friday, March 2, 2012

Define "normal"

Here's a challenge for you...Define "normal".  That's a hard thing to really do.  I mean, my life seems pretty normal, but I'm sure that's only in the eye of the beholder. So, here's a little list of some things that I think are totally "normal"... in my world.
  1. I am addicted to Diet Coke.  Yes, I know it's toxic, blah blah blah, but it's my drug of choice.  What is totally normal to me is that I only like to drink Diet Coke from a cup or better yet from a fountain (with light ice unless there are free refills.  I honestly don't like soda from a 20 ounce.  Unless it's race morning.  Or after a long, hot workout.                                                                                                                                           
  2. I eat off of sectioned plates for dinner.  I think it's totally normal that I have nice dinnerware, but like the cheap plastic plates with the three sections.  It's totally normal that I don't like my food to touch.  And these plates help me a lot with my serving sizes - veggies in the big portion, lean protein in a small one and whole grains in the other.                                                                                                                                   
  3. I love me some pasta.  I've talked a little about this before.  I also have a love of cheese.  I could eat pasta and cheese for every meal.  But I don't like spaghetti sauce.  Unless it's in ziti or lasagna.  Otherwise, plain pasta it is.  I will add some butter, but I could also eat it totally dry.  That's normal, right?                  
  4. I love to sleep.   I could probably fall asleep at any given time throughout the day. On any "normal" night, I get about 10 hours of sleep. I don't see sleep as wasted time like some people.  It's glorious.  But I can't sleep on a plane or in a car.                                                                                                                                     
  5. I fall asleep every night with the TV on.  The noise and lights do not keep me awake.  At some point, my hubby turns it off.  That's all I know.  Totally normal, right?                                                                                                 
  6.  When I get done with a shower, I have a "normal" routine with the towel - dry my face, then my hair, then my arms and legs, then the rest of my body.  Every. Single. Time. OCD or normal?
Are there any things that you think are totally normal but that you know other people would find odd?

 

30 comments:

Kris said...

omg...I thought I was alone in my non-touching food world. I don't have sectioned plates, but arrange my food as if I do. Totally normal. Or at least it is in my little OCD controlled world. ;)

Wes said...

my crazy is your normal.... crazy woman. where I can I buy some of those plates?

Anonymous said...

I concur on so many levels. Friend said to me the other day, "no really, you're sane... but you're absolutely not normal." I am the SAME way about my diet coke! And if I had sectioned plates? I'd use them. My weird thing is bowls. I almost ALWAYS eat out of a bowl. Super weird.

Allison said...

Most of those things sound pretty normal to me! The after-shower drying routine sounds normal (except I have so much hair that I wait until the end to dry it b/c it gets my towel too wet). And we always sleep with the TV on. It actually stays on all night.

Molly said...

I can't put pants on unless I have socks on first. : )

the sectioned plate is a great idea for portion control!!!!

Steve said...

No two of us are alike, so none of us are normal. Although I think you take this to the extreme. :) j/k.

I think my sleep habits are pretty normal. ;)

Have a good one Colleen. :)

Kels said...

love this post! :)

I am OBSESSED with the number 7. I have to set my alarm and it has to have a number 7 in it somewhere. Like for example, if I have to be up at 8, I set my alarm for 7:57 ;)

Kim said...

your plate thing cracks me up! i shower and dry myself the same way every time, but that's not weird, it's just a habit right?! :)

Maggs said...

great list. I love diet coke too. But not from fountain. I like 20 oz bottles. And I LOVE to sleep.

Jon said...

I could NEVER fall asleep with the TV on.

Those divided plates remind me of TV dinners I ate as a special treat growing up.

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Dittos on diet Coke and wifey falling asleep and TV mysteriously being off in the morning...

Unknown said...

Haha, these are all totally normal and relate on some level to each item except the soda. We're not perfect, we're all human, and it's okay to be ourselves and admit it! Whatever makes us happy, OCD-like or not :)

Unknown said...

Ok, I thought I was the only one with a defined towel routine. I dry myself the same way every day and if I think about changing it up, it just doesn't work. I don't even have to think about doing it, it just so routine! hahaha! We are totally normal.

Matthew Smith said...

I love that divided plate! Everyone always makes fun of me because I eat one thing at a time and never together. But, maybe I'm normal and everyone else is weird. I'm pretty sure I do things in the same order all the time and don't even think about it like drying off after a shower. If I had a tv in my room, I'm pretty sure I could go to sleep with it.

Yup, you're normal!

Aunt Nan said...

You know me and my fountain drinks...no cans for me. We always go to sleep with the TV on, and I always dry myself the same way you do (you must have inherited that from me). Yup...you and I are totally normal. Love you, honey

Aimee said...

Totally normal! :)

Jason said...

Totally normal.

I have a routine with the towel as well & mine ends with drying in between each toe. Don't want water in there.

The idea of a plate sectioned off is great for us to introduce to everybody so that there is proper portion control.

Ironman By Thirty said...

None of us are normal. Normal is boring. You are not boring :)

Unknown said...

Molly would have an easy time remembering to put compression socks on BEFORE skinny jeans....I tend to forget that socks need to be on BEFORE putting on skinny jeans, and constantly have to take them off to put sock on.

I am with you on the sleep! I don't sleep well on planes, but stick me in a car and I am OUT! I have fallen asleep in drives as short as 30min. When my kids were little, I was just so sleep deprived that I used being a passenger in the car as time to catch up on sleep, and it has stuck. I can totally sleep like a kid with my head on sideways (parents will know what I mean), and wake up feeling totally fine. My neck has adapted to go back to the childlike state. The first few times I did it, it KILLED, but now I can sleep for hours with my head all tilted the wrong way. How is that for normal?

Also, this move has made me realize how NOT NORMAL I am because finding people to run with me is super hard still. I have 2 people that I can MAYBE run with, instead of the whole fleet of people crazy as me who will run 17 miles (in a snowstorm) with a few hours notice. Still haven't had anyone run my full distance with me over 12 :(

Rebecca said...

Love this post.. I think I will copy you and do one like it on mine today. By the way, you and me are the same with sleep - unfortunately my children do not agree. :P

Kiersten said...

I only like milk or juice out of a glass (made out of glass), but I can drink water out of a plastic cup with no problem. I love the divided plates for my kids....makes fresh veggies, some meat, and a side look much more exciting!

Carole said...

You might like this cartoon about normal people. http://caroleschatter.blogspot.co.nz/2012/03/funny-quote_05.html

Unknown said...

Okay, I will say it. You are a freak a non-food touching, TV watching, crazy towel drying FREAK!

But you fit right in with the rest of us!

Heather-O said...

I'm pretty sure we are fraternal twins separated at birth. 1-6 = exactly the same (except regular coke instead of diet coke and I don't have portioned plates, but my food has to be separated)! So, either we are both really OCD or we define the essence of normal ;) Love it!

Alisa said...

Hahaha! I like my food not to touch either, I don't want my broccoli soaked in sauce.

OMG sleep....I AM ALL ABOUT THE SLEEP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love sleep, if I don't get AT LEAST 8 hours, I'm NOT a fun person to be around.

Anne-Marie said...

This is awesome! You always have such fun ideas for posts.

We're complete opposites on falling asleep... I can't do lights/tv/noises, but I DO think it's completely normal to sleep with a fan on year-round. I like the white noise it makes that drowns out any street/neighbor noise. The downside is that when I'm traveling and don't have a fan, I'm even more sensitive to noises...

Jamie said...

Everything else isn't that odd, except the plate and pasta thing. Those are just funny.

Beth said...

wow, I would LOVE to get 10 hours of sleep every night! How do you do it?

Unknown said...

you are totally normal and I happen to think the the sectioned plates are BRILLIANT :)

Unknown said...

1. Food touching other food while outside of my stomach is gross - completely normal.
2. Whatever is normal to you, is normal. Anyone else who disagrees, is abnormal :).